Nothing Can Separate Us From God
I am sure that nothing can separate us from God’s love – not life or death, not angels or spirits, not the present or the future, and not powers above or powers below. Nothing in all creation can separate us from God’s love for us in Christ Jesus our Lord! – Romans 8:38-39
This Scripture passage is often used at funerals. It is read to proclaim in no uncertain terms that even though death can separate us from our life on earth, that not even death can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Not even death will cancel the promise of God’s love granting us the forgiveness of sins and the gift of eternal life. It is a great comfort to read this at such an important time.
Today, I invite you to hear the breadth and depth of this passage that can often be missed when used only at funerals:
1. Life cannot separate us from God’s love. Nothing in living your life can separate you. No part of your sinful human living will cause God to withdraw the love of Jesus from you.
2. Angels or spirits cannot separate you from God’s love. No spiritual power is strong enough to cause God to withdraw the love of Jesus from you.
3. The present or the future cannot separate you from God’s love. Nothing that happens today or tomorrow will cause God to withdraw the love of Jesus from you.
4. Powers above and powers below cannot separate you from God’s love. No force in the entire universe can cause God to withdraw the love of Jesus from you.
Bringing It Home:
1. If you are fearful that you have done something or may do something in the future that could cause God’s love to be withdrawn from you, pray the passage above. Ask God to strengthen your faith in your time of need.
2. Get a card of encouragement for someone who is going through a time of struggle. Write the Scripture passage above on it and tell them that you are praying for them.
Lord God, your love is steadfast and more powerful than any force in all of creation. I thank you and praise your name that I can confidently give my life over to you. Strengthen my resolve to submit myself to you. Amen.
John A. Holm
Transforming Church Institute